January 1st, 2013

Dear Friends,

The first order of business is to wish you a Happy New Year!  In some ways, it is just another day, but for human beings (who feel the need to keep a calendar and mark time) it ushers in a new year, a new calender on the wall, and a fresh start, so to speak!  I just love it!  Even though I know that if I am moved to make a change — for whatever reason — I should not wait for a certain day to do it, but just get it done.  That said, I thought I’d share some of my resolutions here.  (This is a journal, you know!)  ;)

angels_new_year_postcard

• organic coffee only, when possible (coffee is a heavily sprayed crop)
  • start the day more often with hot, herbal teas, instead of coffee
  • run every day, either alone or with Annie
  • purchase less, use up what I have
  • devote more time to second job, which is of course my crafts and my on-line store
  • market things locally (refer to last entry)
  • pay more attention to the example I am being to others (am I Christlike?)
  • Take Joy!
  • be kind
  • be strictly gluten free!  I have cheated lately, but my newest endocrinologist here confirms: there is a connection (Hashimoto’s)
  • pray more
  • lose 15 pounds (wishful thinking?  by March 27th.  yeah.)
  • be even more strict about my buying policy:  if it doesn’t knock my socks off, I am not buying it!
  • journal faithfully every day in my paper journal (pictures to come.  soon.  promise.)
  • cut waaaaaay back on sugar
  • begin again to study herbs in earnest and work in my garden daily

I know there have been more ideas swirling around in my mind!  You know that too.  But these listed here are a starting point.   And it’s a good one.  You know I think a lot of about clothes, too.  And you, dear friends, have watched me renew a love of fashion and design, and you’ve seen me try all sorts of styles!  I think, after it all is said and done, I still come back to longer dresses, layers, old brooches, and generally a romantic 19th century look.  I feel most at home in clothes like this.  So I will be focusing more on collecting pieces that totally fit that bill.  I will continue to keep up Dylan’s Dress, but I hope to focus it more as well!  Oh.  And I will keep the other blogs!  All of them!  But this is home base!

I have been studying a bit about an artist I love.  His name was Daniel Ridgway Knight, and I have a huge poster of one of his works.  I purchased it at The Scrap Exchange a few years back for a song, and I have cherished it ever since.  Knight was an American artist.  He painted a lot of nature scenes and peasant women.  I think you’d like his work.

springtime_knight

Springtime

The photo above is what my poster is of.  I love it.  Her face is so soft and she seems so at peace.  In searching for images, though, I found what seems to be another version of this scene.  One is called Sprintime, it seems, and the other Spring Blossoms.  I think.  Anyway.  I love these layers and the very evident influence of nature in his work.

Daniel Ridgway Knight - Spring Blossoms

Spring Blossoms.

I think I like mine the best.

Another painting of his that I love is At The Well.

at_the_well

I woke up thinking of a bible verse this  morning, which I am about to write in my journal so that I can look back on it.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. ~Romans 12:2

I love that.  I hope I can remember to keep it my focus today.

Annie and I enjoy walking around the yard and dreaming of how it will look some day.  It has a long way to go, and sometimes I get a bit disheartened by that.  I know I should just take joy, though, and it will get done a little at a time.  Doesn’t Annie look quite the regal beagle?  Just check her out!

This is a skirt I made when I was at the apartment, out of a sheet that I loved the pattern on.  I decided to try an apron over it and pull it up into a pouch.  Mom, are you looking at this?  I am wondering about some darker, very sturdy, utilitarian aprons that might have two ties.  One at the waist and another lower one to make the apron long enough to still cover the dress and yet tie up to make a pouch.  Mom?  ;)

You can see in the picture above that I am holding my herbal notebook.  I don’t want to muddy this post with information about herbs, and I’d like the keep the herbal posts separate, for ease of searching, etc.  So coming soon, I truly promise, will be photos of how the notebook is set up, my plan for learning what is around me, and the first plant that I have decided to study.

From the garden today…

pink camellia

10 thoughts on “January 1st, 2013

1. connie
    January 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm

hi lynn,
    you have some great resolutions. i’m so looking forward to following your journey of life again this year. i always enjoy your garden news and the herbal notebook sounds fascinating. and it’s okay if your garden has a ways to go. it gives you something to do and look forward to, right? love seeing you and annie by your homemade garden stones!
    about the coffee….remember when i told you about teeccino? it’s a no caffeine herbal drink that brews and tastes like coffee. did you ever try it? it can be found at health stores or online at vitacost or amazon. i just love the stuff.
    many blessings to you in 2013!!
    your friend,
    connie

1. January 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Connie, Thanks so much for sharing again that drink name! I have not tried it, but I want to, and will order it right away. I cannot wait to try it. But I did buy the roasted dandelion, and that is SO good! That was just a bag tea. I will try and share that on my blog. Thanks for your friendship!!! And encouraging me to be patient! Your friend, Lynn

2. Lily
    January 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm

And off you go into a whole new year with a special birthday coming soon! You sound ready! I wish you well on all your intensions! I will enjoy seeing how is all unfolds for you, Dear Lynn.
    Knight was a wonderful artist! I, too, love how soft the girls face looks. And yes, I think yours is the best one!
    After not being well enough to really get dressed for 2 years now, I am also wondering what kind of clothes are me! I think about past dresses and things and wonder how it will change when I can go shopping again. I will be thinking of you as I do. I hope to have some “this is honestly me” dresses to wear again in the coming year. That is a happy thought and I know you will have many nice things come into your life to wear and enjoy!
    Love to you and your family,
    Lily, WA, USA

1. January 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Oh, dear Lily! It makes my heart hurt to think of you being sick!! I want you to shop and to have “honestly you” dresses!! What fun that you like Knight as well! I wish you wellness and happiness in the coming year!! Love you! Lynn

3. terry
    January 2, 2013 at 7:36 am

Good day Lynn! Wow, your resolutions are a tough act to follow. I am glad that you are interested in herbs and native plants, so am I! I am about to get fanatical about them! We may be glad we learned about them some day. You look so amazing in the old timey clothes, I wish I could get it together enough to pull off your modern day, victoriana look. A few pounds to go and a need to get organized. Happy New Year, and I love that you are sharing with us going down your “The Road Less Traveled.” Hugs -Terry

1. January 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hey there dear Terry! So good to hear from you! My resolutions are a lot, and they probably go beyond resolutions. I have been knowing ever since I moved here that I needed to get some thing back on track. It just seems like a fun time to get serious; especially before my 50th b’day! And yes, I think knowing about plants is never a bad thing, and it may come in very handy some day! Love you! Lynn

4. January 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hey friend,

I miss you! (((Lynn))) Its always good to hear from you too! :-) You are ambitious – much more than I’m feeling. :-) We’ve been sick, so our only goal now is wellness. And I want to declutter and plan. Always that to do, isn’t it?

Hoping this new year brings much joy to you!

Love
    Leslie

PS I have a GF recipes pinterest board if you ever want to check out some new recipes.

1. January 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hey Leslie! So good to hear from YOU! :) I saw that you all have been dealing with sickness. So sorry about that; and I hope you are all well very soon! May 2013 bring you happiness and prosperity! And thanks about the Pinterest GF board. Will check it out!! Love Lynn

5. January 6, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Don’t you love starting out a fresh new year, and thinking of the 365 clean, white “pages” that a year holds? Your resolutions sound like good ones to me, and I pray that you will keep baby-stepping toward them, one day at a time.

Marqueta

p.s Of course I love Knight’s paintings, too, with the stories that they tell.

1. January 9, 2013 at 9:16 am

Dear Marqueta, Love the reference to books and clean pages. Yes, I love that feeling. I am still baby-stepping! Have accomplished one so far with the teeccino, and just need to stay on that track. Love, Lynn