Sit with me. Quietly.

Good Monday morn to all!  I have had quite the birdwatching morning already!  I just did NOT want to come inside, because I saw a sight of sights this morning, a pileated woodpecker, and those are sort of rare to see!  I will show you his mugshot in a bit (not as clear as I’d like).

Annie and I started out the day with a walk.  These leaves caught my eye as we left the yard.  They look so much like large mushrooms!  Ahh, nature!  You are full of fun and tricks!

On out farther, I was drawn to this lone pinecone, surrounded by greenbriar.  I’d hate to be the one to have to tear all that greenbriar down!  Will watch for the leaves this spring, but if it is what I think it is, the tender young leaves are edible and it has uses to deer and other animals (and people).

Once back home, I got Annie settled into her snuggly spot inside on the couch, and I went back out to sit quietly near the feeders to watch for birds.  A lovely pair (or two or three) of cardinals showed up.

One was so incredibly bright!  I think he’s the brightest male I have seen this year.  Beautiful!!

I absolutely love cardinals.

And sweet little chickadees!

And now, let me tell you about this huge woodpecker that I had the privilege to watch this morning.  I was pretty much focused on the birds right around me, when out of the corner of my eye I spied large wings landing in a tree across the yard and near the edge of someone else’s yard.  I am not sure I have ever even seen one in real life.  Maybe in books only, and then I dreamed of seeing one.  They are timid and don’t come down to our level much.  A pileated woodpecker!

I know the picture is blurry, but he was quite a distance from me, and there were lots of branches obscuring a good view.  I sat for a long time, hoping he’d come closer, but he never did . So I got up and walked his way, hoping to not scare him and to at least get one shot, even if blurry!  I suppose you notice he’s in the sweetgum tree!  I knew this tree would be special to me this year!  (You can see the sweetgum balls above.)

We are not too far from an Air Force base, and sometimes the military choppers will come over.  Such was the case this morning, and the woodpecker flew away, even farther away than before, and I got one last picture.  But you can see the brilliant color, the black marks that run along the side of its head, the shape of its head, and its large size!!

I have to work today, and lots of work there is!!  So I must run.  There is so much that a day brings!  We never know from one moment to the next what will be our lot, so I am very content this morning to have my birdfeeders, my job, my family, and my little easel that calls out to me a minute here and a minute there throughout the course of a day.

12 comments for “Sit with me. Quietly.

1. January 14, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Those are all really great and clear shots! I like them all. Although, I had to scroll back up to the first picture to look again, after you mentioned that those were leaves and not mushrooms. They sure had me fooled!

• January 15, 2013 at 12:54 am

Tanya, thanks so much! About the leaves — I know! I did a double take — “wow look at those mushrooms!” Then I realized they were leaves. xoxo Lynn

2. Jen
    January 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

What great nature shots. We have a pileated woodpecker at the zoo, not far from our house…but to see one out in the yard?! What a treat.
    You are so right when you make the observation we never know what a day will bring. I am learning to hold my plans loosely and be purposefully flexible, lest I break. As women, we do that, we ‘flow’ around the others in our family. As we nurture, comfort, nourish, teach, admonish, and tidy, upon occasion it is necessary to change what we had planned for ourselves. Not to the point of being a doormat, but in order to raise up a brood. Not for the weak of heart, this motherhood gig, but one of the richest experiences life offers.
    I’ve been pouring over my seed catalogs. Can’t wait for Spring to smile on us again. Winter be gone! Oh wait….it’s only January. ;/
    Have a good day.
    Jen xoxo

• January 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Dear Jen, I am dreaming of spring as well! And planning on what more I can get done in the garden this next year, Lord willing. A day brings a new scape each day. Yes. Love, Lynn xoxo

3. January 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Great shots, as usual! How fun to see a pileated woodpecker; I saw my first one last year, and it was one of the highlights of my life. You would have loved going to the Nature Center with us on Saturday. Timothy Barksdale, who is one of the world’s top nature videographers was there, showing a movie of different birds that he had filmed. It was quite amazing, and like you could reach out and touch them!

Marqueta

p.s. I love your girl painting from your last post, too. You’ve been busy!

• January 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hi Marqueta! Thanks so much! And yes, it was quite the experience to see that pileated woodpecker! Would have loved going with you on your nature center trip!! Love, Lynn

4. January 16, 2013 at 7:37 am

Love these nature shots! I sometimes think the colours in Nature are more amazing than what we come up with ourselves. Stunning! Great post, as usual!

Dodie
    X

• January 19, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Dodie, thanks!! Yes, I agree about the colors!! xoxo Lynn

5. Tammy
    January 17, 2013 at 2:23 am

Oh My GOSH! What beautiful pictures! The Cardinal is my favorite bird. Thanks so much for sharing!

• January 19, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Tammy, thank you!!

6. January 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Loved catching up with you a bit. Beautiful pictures of the birds! Love hearing the happiness in your words sweet friend.

Hugs to you