Modest-fy A Denim Skirt

Dear Readers,

Just wanted to drop in on a quick break and say a cheerful hello!  Does time fly?  You know it does!!

This morning I took a recently thrifted, very short denim skirt, and turned it into a fabulously long dress!

Sorry for the pitiful coloring, but I was in heavy shade.  Still, thought you’d get the message of how the dress looks.  This dress is SO much fun!  I did nothing at all to alter the top part, an overall style, very short denim dress (I called it a skirt — sorry).  I took a long, tiered denim skirt and cut about three tiers off the top (enough to get the zipper out of it) and then pinned it carefully and evenly all around the underneath of the shorter skirt, being careful to line up the side seams.

Voila!

I love it!! (And yes it was warm enough here today for flip-flops, at least in the sunshine.

Yeah, that’s paint on the skirt.  Nothing like a messy artist to make clothes interesting!

12 thoughts on “Modest-fy A Denim Skirt

1. Jen
    January 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Oh for cute! That is extra fun. The artsy paint smears add something to the over-all look too.
    Seeing what you’ve done is always so inspiring. Would love to see what you come up with for doing some of those tee shirts that have the flowers etc. on them. Have you seen those dresses for littles made from a tee-shirt?
    I can’t wait to be without big heavy coats. Spring, come quickly!
    Jen

1. January 20, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Dear Jen,

Thanks so much! And I agree. I like the paint added in! I think I have heard of what you are talking about. I wil have to look into it for Isabella! :) Love, Lynn

2. Dodie
    January 20, 2013 at 5:41 am

Love the flip flops with the skirt! Can’t believe it’s warm enough for flip flops:)

1. January 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Hi Dodie! Thanks so much! Yeah, it has been cold, but then the days warm up. The sun was out yesterday and today. Gorgeous! xoxo Lynn

3. January 20, 2013 at 9:34 am

That’s a great idea. My resident artist(her blog is even called “Paint on My Jeans”)has several too-small skirts that would work WELL pinned onto the bottoms of cut-off jean tops…you’ve gotten my wheels turning!
    bottoms, tops, up, down, I may get lost here in a minute if I don’t stop! Lol!
    Hugs!
    ~april

1. January 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Howdy April! :) Thanks so much. Paint on my jeans! LOL. Sounds familiar. You will have so much fun remaking clothes and giving them new, improved life! I have another denim dress I am thinking on even as I type this. Hugs, Lynn

4. Arlys
    January 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Oh Lynn! You are such an inspiration! Things have been hectic for me & I have so ENJOYED reading all of your posts and keeping up with your life, but just haven’t taken the time to comment.

I LOVE your recycled clothing ideas….wow! This dress idea is SO cute and what a wonderful idea to put together! I also have a too short denim skirt and now I have an idea of how to remedy that and I’ll be on the lookout for what I can use to sew it up right!

Thanks again for all of your creative inspiration and your UPBEAT OUTLOOK!!! That too is always a day brightner!!!
    HUGS,
    Arlys

1. January 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi Arlys! I was thinking about you the other day! Sounds like life is hectic for us all! Whew! :D Thanks for chiming in and letting me know you are out there. And thanks about the clothes and this dress. Big HUGS, Lynn

5. connie
    January 20, 2013 at 4:15 pm

hi lynn,
    creative people have great ideas. you look pretty and ready for work all at the same time in your new skirt!
    i’ve been meaning to ask….how did you like seeing a photo of me and the fam – finally?!
    your friend,
    connie

1. January 20, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Hi Connie! Thanks you so much! This dress is really fun! I get compliments out, but it is easy to work/play around the house in! And talk about fun!! Your letter was such a delight! I already felt like I knew you, but to get to see your face and your family! You just really made my day! Even now, your letter is in my journal so I can pull it out and look at it! :) Your friend, Lynn

6. Lily
    January 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Lynn! That dress is great! And you wear it so well! Keep having fun making life happen.
    Lily, WA, USA