More Birds. More Altered Denim.

Dear Readers,

Where would we be without birds?  I cannot imagine a world without them.  I have loved watching them since I was little, but truly my love affair with them only began after I had my first child.  Can it really be that that was 24 years ago?  Almost 25 now?  He would sit in his high chair and look at the birds outside, gathering around the feeders that we had placed on our porch outside the kitchen window.

These little juncos haved been plentiful around the feeders lately, to say the least!  They are somewhat friendly little birds and don’t scare as easily as some other birds, like the cardinals or bluebirds.

junco_3

Aren’t they cute!!?

titmouse_012613

Oh, the little titmouse!  I love these birds as well.

In other news, I continue to play around with denim and scraps of fabric, adding pieces of this and that, and having OH-SO-MUCH-FUN ending up with house dresses, so to speak:  fun stuff to wear around the house while I work and play, paint and feed the birds, cook and clean.

I really do love the top on this one!  I am going to have to try this technique again.  The denim jumper had a very cute upper 1/3, but the rest of the dress was straight and not very giving, and ended up making a girl look quite thick and unshapely!

Hair was still a bit damp from washing earlier in the day.

altered_rue_21_denim_jumper_4

altered_rue_21_denim_jumper_5

Not a perfect dress, no.  But different.  No one has one like it but me.  It’s fun, modest, and I had fun making it!  I say, whatever you do, be yourself and have fun!

I found a quotation today that I loved.  Made me think of my new life.  Or maybe  a past life.  All of our daughters should write this on their hearts:

No man is worth your tears; and the one who is won’t make you cry.  ~unknown.

8 comments for “More Birds. More Altered Denim.

1. January 29, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I love the dress! Altering clothes is so darn fun! Juncoes are some of my favorites, too (along with titmice, chickadees, Carolina wrens, and the rest of the feeder gang).

Marqueta

2. January 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Oh, I love all those little song birdies, too, Marqueta! Thanks about the dress. It’s fun to play at the sewing machine for a few minutes every so often! xoxo Love, Lynn

3. Pam
    January 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I really enjoy your writings, your art, and your enthusistic forays into creative fashion. Since you are snipping and embellishing denim, I remembered a dress (jumper) I made for my daughter when she was about 18 months old. I used the bell-bottom of a leg of my husband’s jeans, lined it with colorful fabric, put eyelet ruffles around the arms and hem, and stiched a little balloon patch pocket on it and added her name in machine embroidery (Liz, not too long!). Last year I sandwiched it between glass in a frame, and gave it to her for my 2 year old granddaughter’s room. Since you have a granddaughter, all you need to find is the bell-bottom jeans!Happy I already ate mine!
    Best,
    Pam
    The salad looks wonderful, h

• February 5, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Oh Pam, that sounds adorable!!! I need to try that with Isabella. xoxo Lynn

4. January 31, 2013 at 12:10 am

the dress is fab.u.lous! you’ve just added to the inspiration to start playing around with clothing deconstruction again. :) i’ve been getting “hints” everywhere about it.

• February 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Lesa, thank you!! I have been so inspired to alter things lately! It is really big right now — this clothing deconstruction!! xoxo Lynn

5. February 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Love your dress,great blog love the bird pictures I’ve been trying so hard to take some but by the time I’ve taken my camera out,they have flown away :)adding you to my daily read so I can stop by your lovely blog again :)

• February 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi Claire! Thanks so much! And I know what you mean about the birds flying away! They are quick! xoxo Lynn