Village Green Greenhouse from Big Lots

Yes.  You can guess what is in my yard.  Right?

It’s the Village Green greenhouse from Big Lots.

But folks, I did not get the large, 119.00 one.  No.  The Mister went to Big Lots with me to look at this “greenhouse” I found.  The more we looked, the more we felt like the small one was the best size to start with.  It is plenty big for now, and we will see if we can get a year out of it.  We’ll see if we can get a month out of it!!

Before we bought it, I sort of “whined” about wanting him to just “see” the greenhouse.  “Just show you.”  (Read:  Let’s go buy one.)  And then The Mister and Michaela and I ended up out shopping, getting a few things for supper.  I told them that we could get our bread from Big Lots.  So off to Big Lots we went.

“Big Lots!” Michaela said.  “Why are we going to Big Lots??”

“The bread is really cheap there,” I said.

“Have you not figured this out yet, Michaela?  We are going to get a greenhouse,” said The Mister.

Peeps, they were laughing at me!!

Okay, time for some review stuff about this greenhouse.

• It was on sale for 50.00.  Yes.  (The Mister should be glad I directed us there to get bread.)
  • All the pieces were in the box
  • It was VERY easy to assemble

The greenhouse is lightweight, so I drove small stakes into the ground in each corner.  Each stake had a place to attach a piece of cord so that I could tie the greenhouse down.  I think this will help tremendously.

I leveled the ground.

You can see how big it is.  It’s a BIG.  LOT.

Ha ha.

Yeah right.

Put mulch around the outside to kill the creeping grass that will invade come springtime.

Adding plants.  Be still my heart.

Can you tell how much fun this will be??

I love dirt!   And I yelled that exact phrase across the yard to The Mister today.  He just laughed.

If you build it, the creatures will come.

Big enough to have a seat and flip through magazines.  Do you know where I will be with my coffee in the mornings?

Marqueta, do you recognize the banner!!  It’s lovely in there!!

Now, this structure, as Marqueta said in a comment to me, has “good bones.”  I will hopefully build around it.  If that makes any sense.  But that’s not going to happen right now.  For now, I am enjoying this little bit of instant (well, almost) happiness.  Let’s see how long it lasts!!

PLEASE NOTE, I HAVE HAD SO MANY REQUEST FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS, I SCANNED MINE FOR YOU.

In JPG and TIF format.  If you scroll down into the comment sections, they are in one of my comments as well, and may be easier there because they are clickable.

40 thoughts on “Village Green Greenhouse from Big Lots

1. Emily
    February 10, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Love it. :-)

1. February 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

Hi there Miss Em!! Thanks so very much! We miss you. Love, Lynn

2. jill
      April 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

I bought this and put it up yesterday and worked my ass off only for the wind to blow it down with all my heavy pots in it.. Piece of shit don’t buy

1. April 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Oh, so sorry to hear it, Jill! Thanks for leaving your honest feedback here. I anchored mine with some small metal stakes in the ground and put mine in the corner section of a privacy fence, so perhaps that helped mine.

2. danaleigh
    February 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hi Lynn, I had to laugh at you decorating the greenhouse–only because I know how you feel. My dad had converted one side of the horse barn into a “greenhouse” for my mom. It stood neglected for awhile. I am no gardener, though I love plants, but I set out to clean it out and decorate it! I am making banners to stand in as valances over the windows. You know those white metal scalloped border fences? I turned it upside down, mounted it over the longest window and tucked vintage floral postcards in it. I’m having so much fun decorating it.
    I hope you have fun and success with your greenhouse. Off to visit your mama’s blog

1. February 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

Hi Dana! So good to “see you!” Decorating is part of it! Right? I mean, we are the standing and staring club, after all. I LOVE the idea about the fence and the postcards! You have my mind spinning!! LOL. Thanks for visiting mom, too! She has a lot of good stuff to share! Love, Lynn

3. February 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

It’s adorable. My gardener daughter is reading over my shoulder and said “that’s cute!” as if I haven’t pointed out the greenhouse at Big Lots 100 times to her….
    I hope you enjoy it SO VERY MUCH.
    And that girls’ bday is coming. She’d best not provoke me!
    Hugs!
    ~april

1. February 13, 2013 at 8:48 am

Hi April!!

Thank you! Your daughter would LOVE one of these. I am really enjoying mine so very much. I need to add some more feedback to the post above, for any who buy it. ;)

Big hugs,
      Lynn

4. February 11, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hooray, you got it! The Mister sounds like he’s good at taking hints. :) I love that you put the banner in there; it makes it your little own cottage in the garden.

May it be a blessed home to your green babies.

Marqueta

1. February 13, 2013 at 8:47 am

Dear Marqueta,

Thanks! I am LOVING it! Oh my. I have “the bug” now when it come to a greenhouse. They are so much fun!! And yes. He takes hints really well!

xoxo
      Lynn

5. Lily
    February 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Hi Lynn,

I love your little bit of instant happiness! I had one very much like it a few years ago and it was great fun. One thing I did need here in our very sunny countryside was shade cloth and a fan to move air into and out of it. It got surprisingly hot in there! I wove the shade cloth onto a wire that went down the center of the building and a wire at each side, too, so I could pull it back and forth for cover as needed. And we cut a vent flap high on the back wall so hot air could escape. I mention this so you can have a chance to think about those things a little before they might come in handy there, too. Enjoy!!! I know you will.
    ❤ Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!!! ❤

❤ (new fat & squatty heart! lol)
    Lily

1. February 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

Hey Lily!

Thanks!! I was thinking about the heat and wondering what I’d do! I talked with a lady the other day who has flaps on hers that open and shut with velcro. I need to think about that. Hmmmm. And I love the idea of the shade cloth. I know I will need to think about that!! ❤❤❤ Thanks for sharing the hearts again! I love them!! Love, Lynn

6. Lily
    February 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Yes! Flaps that open and close with velco would work great!!! Good for you! I love that you are going to get to “play house” (greenhouse) in there this spring! I know you are going to have such fun! Looking forward to photos!
    Love and wishing for you to have a great weekend!
    Lily

1. February 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Lily, I agree! I am thinking that flaps will be good. It got SOOO cold here last night, but I kept a homemade heater going all night, made from roasting pans and candles. It stil got very cold, but not as cold as outside! I will have to post a picture. Love, Lynn

7. Ted & Judy Westmoreland
    May 9, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Just a simple search for a (pdf) file for assembly instructions for my new greenhouse opened into this fascinating journal. It is so easy to get sidetracked and mis-directed on the internet but this has been a pleasant visit. The amount of work you’ve put into your journal is amazing.
    I bought the display model of the last 5 X 5 Village Green Walk-In Greenhouse that BigLots had, unfortunately, there were no assembly instructions. Now my wife & I are at the mercy of this information packed resource. We’ve tried every combination of words & phrases but we are not able to find anything helpful. Do you happen to still have a contact number or, dare I say, the assembly instructions for your greenhouse. If there is anything you could do to help it would be very much appreciated….even encouragement at this point!
    Regardless, thank you for the pleasant sojourn.
    Sincerely, Ted & Judy Westmoreland

1. Laurie
        March 22, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Thank you so much for scanning the directions. You saved my Saturday! God Bless!

1. March 31, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Laurie, you are welcome!

8. Mirian cuneo
    May 13, 2013 at 7:43 am

My cover for my 6 ftx8 ft is ripped where can I get a new one please call me…

1. May 13, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hi Mirian. I removed your phone number. I am sorry but I have no idea where to find another cover. I wish I did! I wonder if Big Lots would have any information about how to contact the source? Best wishes!!

Lynn

1. July 13, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Katherine, thanks so much for this!! XOXO Lynn

9. Vicki DeShong
    June 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

We are kindred spirits for sure. I also ;”love dirt” lol.

Also bought the display model at Big Lots. Will use your Pics to help us remember how to assemble it.
    Vicki
    The kiss of the sun for pardon,
    The song of the birds for mirth,–
    One is nearer God’s heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth.

10. Vicki DeShong
    June 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thanks for scanning your instructions.

1. June 14, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I hope they help! Thanks so much for your comment! xoxo Lynn

11. August 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

I have saved the instructions your shared and cannot for the life of me find a phone number.. I have large one. I am looking to replace the fittings as they snapped but do not have a phone number. I did not see a number on your booklet. You would not happen to have the phone number would you ??

1. August 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

Oh, Janice, I don’t. I am so sorry. I think that has been a problem I have read about from others online. I hope you can find it!!

12. Lori Slattery
    October 26, 2013 at 10:53 am

Do you have the instructions for the greenhouse from Big Lots? I have the same greenhouse, however I have lost the instructions and can’t seem to find them anywhere!

1. October 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Lori, I should add it to the post, but I have actually scanned the instructions and the links are included in one of my comments above! Thanks! Lynn

13. Randi
    January 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

What company makes this greenhouse and is there a website to go to directly?

1. January 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Randi, I never could find one. I believe it just said Village Green, but in one of my comments above, you will see links to the directions for putting the greenhouse together. Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but again, I never did find a website for it. Thanks, Lynn

14. Nick
    February 12, 2014 at 11:19 am

You can download the instructions right from the biglots website.

Here is the link.

1. February 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! PEEPS ————–>> THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR GREENHOUSE IN LINK ABOVE!!

15. March 5, 2014 at 7:43 am

I got this same little green house! I love it!! I sit in quite often. When we had a recent cold and snow storm after it passed, with snow on the ground I sat in there and it was a toasty 86 degrees! I have a thermometer in there. If you don’t have one I highly suggest it. Anyway, my dog got jealous of me being in there and ripped the door almost to shreds. :( Needless to say I’d like to order a new cover.

Oh well. Enjoy!!!

1. March 5, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Oh Amanda! LOL. I know it’s not funny, but pets can sure get jealous! I hope you can get your door repaired. Some day I want to have another greenhouse and a yard and an outdoor garden! :D Thanks so much for posting! Lynn

16. April 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

hi lynn i was wondering if anyone has found out where to buy replacement connectors, i bought mine at big lots and it was missing 1 part E connector, the 4 way connection. any advice would be appreciated

1. April 13, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Cory, I am not sure. Seems that has been asked in the comments. I am not sure anyone ever found an 800 number. Good luck! I will glance through the comments.

17. Doris
    April 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Waste of time and money. After being up for two days, a small wind knocked it over. Purchased more stakes as the kit only came with four flimsy ones. That held the bottom together, but the wind the next night tore off the top two-thirds of the greenhouse. Have only had the contraption up less than a week, and may not be able to put back together again since the connections broke during the second wind. The winds have been normal or our area (Mississippi coast) and nothing to be concerned about. This piece of junk just did not hold up. Maybe if they had designed it with tie-downs for the top corners as well.

1. April 15, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Hi Doris! Seems this post is becoming a landing page for all sorts of feedback! Thanks for you honest feedback. Actually, it’s a cheap greenhouse. We know it when we buy it. Light, flimsy, but for me it definitely served it’s little purpose. I set mine up where the wind was broken on two sides and put mine down with metal stakes. Sorry about the bad experiences out there! I don’t manufacture it, I don’t sell it, I just used to have one. ;) Keep sharing! Lynn

18. Frank
    April 23, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Hi Lynn:

I have a couple of suggestions for you readers.

Jill had problems with her greenhouse in the wind. I put extra bags of mulch or compost or soil on the bottom shelves to help hold mine down.

For Amanda and Randi; I have found another website that has a greenhouse that has the same dimensions as the Village Green Item that we have. It is Tek Supply and they do have a website but their cover sells for $79.95, so that almost defeats the purpose when you can buy a whole new greenhouse at Big Lots for $50.

Also my covers only last about two years if I’m lucky and am real careful about taking them off at the end of the summer. I usually just buy a new greenhouse every two years and use the extra parts to make shelves for storage in other areas. That may be the only solution to the problem of broken or missing parts since the postage on one part would probably be more than the part itself.

Hope I could bring someone some good news today.

Frank