Valspar Tempered Gray

Dear Friends,

Last week was so busy!  I worked on two rooms and got both of them painted.  There are still little touches to do here and there, but the major work is done!  I wanted to show you the guest room, a very simple room, but one that I love to just go and sit in now!  It is uncluttered and very neat.  We call it the airplane room.

Like I said.  Very simple.  Don’t be a hater because my beds don’t match!  ;)

Actually, would be nice if they did, but I had to use the linens I could at this current moment!  I just cannot afford to go out and pay retail for matching comforters, shams, etc., and it is actually not me anyway.  You know I love to thrift and look for the best bargains.  This room was centered around two pictures:  one is an old print of Kill Devil Hills that the Mister got as a boy.  The other is a framed set of pictures my dad took while in the Air Force.  People jumping from planes, parachutes dropping large equipment.  I wanted to build this room around the grays, blues, tans and browns in the pictures.  There’s a touch of deep burgundy-red here and there.

Route 66 Motel sign from Big Lots for 4 dollars.  I love it!!  The valance was 1.39 from Goodwill.

I LOVE this lamp from Hobby Lobby, purchased last week when their lamps were 50% off.  It was about 35 dollars.  A lot for me, but I wanted that old look to go with the biplane feel.

And just imagine that my sweet dad (with all of his brilliant ways and flaws — yes, we all have flaws) took these during his Air Force days; except one, which is the newspaper clipping from where he reenlisted back in the day.

This bookcase holds lots of books from when the Mister was a boy.  Isabella loves to come in here and pull out books.  ;)

I love the metal airplane, a 14-dollar splurge at TJ Maxx.

I KNOW it’s not fancy.  I do.  But I wanted something simple, plain (plane — ha ha ) and quiet for our guests when they come to stay.  I think it worked out well!

The comforters and shams just don’t come across in the pictures as pretty as they are IRL.  I will have fun, now that the theme of the room is set, looking for fun items to change out in here and spice it up a bit, while still keeping it uncluttered.  I am leaning more and more these days towards the something in/something out policy of housekeeping.  In other words, getting rid of something to make room for the new item that comes in.

Stay tuned for a new visitor at the feeder!

10 comments for “Valspar Tempered Gray

1. Samantha
    March 25, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love the mismatched look. The room looks great, very peaceful!! :)

• March 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Samantha!! :) xoxo Lynn

2. terry
    March 25, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love this simple look, Lynn – it looks like a bygone time capsule to me. I just love it, so vintage-esque – we are always creating words, huh? But just love it, and it looks so coastal Carolina to me, too. See ya later, Terry

• March 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Terry, thank you! That means a lot. It does feel bygone, doesn’t it! I love the coastal feel too, but it is not in-your-face. Just right for the sandhills. Love, Lynn

3. Mom
    March 26, 2013 at 6:02 am

Lynn, I love this room!! I can see why you would want to just sit in there. A good place to think. Makes me want to haul off a truck load of stuff!!! I love you.
    Mom

• March 29, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Hey Mama!! Thank you! It is a good place to just sit. And yes, I am enjoying less clutter these days!! I love you! Lynn

4. Lily
    March 26, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Lynn,
    I love how this room feels! From the very first photo I loved it! It is so tranquil and full of rest… just what most guests want and need. It will be a great place for you to sit or others to call home away from home. You did “good”!
    Love and Happy Easter!
    Lily, WA, USA
    (Did I miss your Birthday this month…?)

• March 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hey Lily!! Thanks so much. I guess you know by now you did not miss my birthday! That is sweet of you to remember it is March! Love you! Lynn

5. March 27, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I love it. I love the simplicity of it and I think things that complement each other while not exactly matching looks better and more inviting than a whole room that’s matchy-matchy. :)

• March 29, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Lesa! Thank you! And I agree with you about the matchy-matchy thing!!! xoxo Lynn